Construction of the edifice was accomplished in 1879. It was erected according to the author of the nearby lighthouse - Albert Severin's design. As long as until May 1945 the building had been the seat of the German Office for Harbour Construction that was coordinating the affairs of hydro-construction. During a storm at night on New Year's Eve 1913/14 accumulated waters rose up to the third entrance step to the building. The event is commemorated by a small plague. In 1947 the building began to serve as the seat of the Maritime Office branch as well as that of various maritime institutions. It was informally called the Harbour master's office. In fact it was not until 1973 that the edifice was officially named Harbour master's office.