Gerhard's Fort also known as the Eastern Fort belongs to the best preserved Prussian waterside artillery forts. It was built between the years 1856-1863. It was one of the four basic fortification works, making up the maritime Fortress Świnoujście. Between the years 1870-1881 a former battery of field cannons was incorporated into the area (presently the western one) of the fort. At the turn of the 19th and the 20th centuries the telegraphic connection was installed as was the narrow-gauge railway. The fortification was initially filled with approximately 300 infantry and artillery men. Following the First World War the structure was taken over by the German Navy, having an auxiliary function as long as until the end of the Second World War. After the war it was used by the Russians and in 1962 it was handed down to the city of Świnoujście. It served as a warehouse for a few years to be subsequently abandoned. In W 2001 the Fort was opened to the public. In the fort's collection there are a few hundred of exhibits, photos and documents connected with the history of the city and the Fortress Świnoujście. The aim of the exposition is to familiarise visitors with the history of the Świnoujście fortification development since the time of the Swedish wars until the1970s. Visitors are accompanied by tour guides dressed up as ‘Prussian soldiers' led by the Fort Commandant' who obligatorily drills visitors on the former parade square. After the training guests receive a special certificate and are rewarded with a shot from a 19th century's cannon.