The Maritime University in Szczecin is a state technical academy which educates the officer corps in the faculties: navigation, maritime engineering as well as economics and transport engineering ones. It was founded on 1st January 1947 by the National Maritime School in Szczecin. In 1968 the school's name was changed to the Higher Maritime School and in 2004 - to the present name - the Maritime University. The school was moved to the current edifice in 1962 when the National Sea Fishing School was founded. The seat of the first Maritime School was located at 19, Piastów Street.
At present the University occupies the building in Wały Chrobrego Street, erected between the years 1902-1921. Originally there were offices of the National Insurance Office and the Chief Customs Authority.