Erected in the 18th century, the church was often extended in the subsequent centuries. In 1972 it became a cathedral church and in 1992 - a metropolitan one. In the Sea People Chapel there is a medieval-stylised oil triptych by Szczecin painter Ryszard Kiełtyka' „Stella Maris'. Scenes illustrating God's care over the human being are painted on stained-glass-windows. Furthermore, one can also see a shipping compass, a steering wheel, navigation lamps, a ship's bell and a model of a sailing ship in the chapel. In the basilica there is also a tombstone from 1685 made by sailor Michael Wahrlenge which underwent maintenance works in 1992.