Kristianopel
ikona
Kristianopel
obrazek zajawki
Kristanopel
City:
Blekinge
Opened for public
RankRankRankRank_noRank_no
 votes: 370

The fortress town Kristianopel was founded in 1599 on the island Korsaskär by the eastern coast of Blekinge. At the same time Avaskär and Lyckå lost their town privileges. Kristianopel was the link farthest to the east in a chain of border fortresses along the border between Sweden and Denmark. The town also became home of the master of the new county of Kristianopel (Kristianopels län).

The town plan and fortifications was made by the builder of the Danish king Christian IV, Hans van Stenwinkel. According to the ideal of the Renaissance the whole town was considered a fortress, where the geometrically planned streets made it possible to quickly transfer soldiers to different parts of the town wall. The town was surrounded by an almost 2,4 km long and 4-6 metres high wall with projecting bastions. It is still possible to see some rather high remnants of this wall.

Kristianopel is the first example in Scandinavia of a town built by the principles of the Renaissance. The town plan consists of broad streets with right angles and big blocks. The original church is situated at the far south and was a part of the fortification. This church was burnt down, and the new church was built in 1611 by the town square.

Kristianopel never became an important town because the surrounding countryside on the meagre east coast of Blekinge did not contribute enough to the town.

Kristianopel lost its military position in 1658 when the peace at Roskilde between Sweden and Denmark made Blekinge a part of Sweden. 1677 the fortification was torn apart and the town became deserted.

Today, Kristianopel is a picturesque little village where you can see the remnants of the town walls, an interesting church from the 17th century and many beautiful roses, among other tings. It also has a nice harbour.

 

Back
Print
PDF
Report
A mistake
Galleries
obrazek
Author of the photo: Morgan Olsson, Blekinge Museum
Author of the photo: Morgan Olsson, Blekinge Museum
obrazek
Author of the photo: Morgan Olsson, Blekinge Museum
Author of the photo: Morgan Olsson, Blekinge Museum
obrazek
Author of the photo: Morgan Olsson, Blekinge Museum.
Author of the photo: Morgan Olsson, Blekinge Museum.
obrazek
obrazek
Author of the photo: Morgan Olsson, Blekinge Museum
Author of the photo: Morgan Olsson, Blekinge Museum