History of the granary dates back to the mid 15th century when the Council of the City of Gdańsk promised the Polish King Casimir Jagiellon a granary in order to store the royal crops. Unfortunately, the king did not live long enough for the promise to be kept and the granary was built as late as after 150 years, between the years 1606-1608. The ruling king was John III Vasa at that time. The author of the granary was an architect and a sculptor Abraham van den Blocke, known for his numerous accomplishments in Gdańsk. Abraham van den Block's artistic fondness is expressed by decorations of the building's top, resembling a typical method to crown tenement houses in Gdańsk. The granary, however, is an excellent example of the north-eastern Renaissance. The building served the Polish sovereigns for centuries. Annexation of Gdańsk by Prussia in 1793 led to the royal property in Gdańsk being taken over by the Prussian king. The granary was handed down for the army's needs. For almost the whole of the 19th century the granary served as a warehouse. When, towards the end of the 19th century a power plant was erected in the vicinity of the granary, the building was absorbed by the new structure. Destroyed during the Second World War, due to being within the power plant complex, it was rebuilt relatively soon. At the end of the 20th century, after the power plant had been closed down, it was adapted for hotel purposes.