St. Jacob Skippers' Guild House was built in 1605. It used to belong to the Gdańsk Skippers' Guild (Schifferzunft) which had been established in 1386. The house is decorated by an impressive entrance portal with a low relief of a galleon seen from the port side. It is one of the bet images of ships from the beginning of the 17th century preserved in Gdańsk. From 1844 the building was the seat of the Entrepreneurs' Society and subsequently - of the German People's House. The building's facade is crowed with St. Jacob's sculpture - that of the patron of sailors. The history of the Skippers' House is closely connected with the history of the maritime hospital and St. Jacob's Church in Gdańsk. On the initiative of the guild's members the church was established at the beginning of the 15th century to be followed by the House in Szeroka Street just under two centuries later.