St. Jacob’s Church
ikona
St. Jacob’s Church
obrazek zajawki
Kościół św. Jakuba
Address:
City:
Phone:
E-mail:
www:
Wałowa 28
80-858 Gdańsk
+48 58 301 55 50

www.gdansk.kapucyni.pl
Opened for public
RankRankRank_halfRank_noRank_no
 votes: 249

Between the years 1411-1413 a hospital for sailors was established on the initiative of the Gdańsk Skippers' Guild and in 1415 St. Jacob's (Sailors' patron) Chapel was erected next to the hospital. In 1432 both the hospital and the chapel were extended but the following year the complex was destroyed by the Hussites. In 1473 St. Jacob's Church was built within this area. One of the hospital's rooms was a meeting place for Gdańsk skippers gathered in the Gdańsk Skipper Guild which had existed since 1386. During the Napoleonic times the church was taken over by the French for a short period of time. In 1815, due to an explosion in a neighbouring tower the church was partly destroyed to be subsequently abandoned by the Protestants. Soon the hospital building was reconstructed and deprived of its sacred properties at the same time. It was probably then that a portal decorated with a low relief depicting ST. JACOB frigate was added. In the eastern part the Navigation School was founded in 1817 and in the western one the Gdańsk Library was situated the following year. In 1945 he church burned down. Since its reconstruction in 1949 it has been used by the Capuchin Order. The sailor's hospital was not rebuilt from the damage. The preserved low relief was handed over to the Polish Maritime Museum in Gdańsk. In 1994 a bronze-cast plaque was unveiled in the church where there had been a shelter for sailors centuries ago, including those to have sailed to the Cape Horn on huge sailing ships. The plaque bears an inscription by famous Polish sailor Aleksander Kaszowski: ‘To the sailors who died in the waters around the Cape Horn'.

Back
Print
PDF
Report
A mistake
Galleries
obrazek
Author of the photo: Radosław Paternoga
Author of the photo: Radosław Paternoga
obrazek
Author of the photo: Radosław Paternoga
Author of the photo: Radosław Paternoga
obrazek
Author of the photo: Radosław Paternoga
Author of the photo: Radosław Paternoga
obrazek
Author of the photo: Radosław Paternoga
Author of the photo: Radosław Paternoga
obrazek
Author of the photo: Radosław Paternoga
Author of the photo: Radosław Paternoga
Location: POLAND, pomorskie, Gdańsk