The obelisk was unveiled in 2006 on the 120th anniversary of the birthday of the ‘First Sailor of the Republic of Poland'. It is located at Cpt. Ziółkowskiego Quay in Gdańsk Nowy Port. Tadeusz Ziółkowski, born in 1886, was the first captain (between the years 1921-1923) of the ‘navigators' cradle' on the sailing ship LWÓW. Having finished his service on LWÓW he assumed the position of the pilots' chief - the harbour master in the Free City of Gdańsk. Between the years 1932-1939 he served as the sports and sailing manager in the Polish Maritime Club. On his initiative the sailing yacht KORSARZ was built. Its crew achieved the first historic victory of the Polish yacht in the international regattas in 1936. On 25th August 1939 he refused to bring in the battleship SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN into the Gdańsk harbour. Arrested by the Nazis on 1st September 1939, he was kept prisoner in Nowy Port and subsequently in the concentration camp in Stutthof where he was shot in the mass execution of the Polish oppositionists in 1940. It is not the only place dedicated to the great sailor and patriot in Gdańsk. In the nearby building of the Gdańsk Harbourmaster's Office there is a commemorative plaque ‘in tribute to the Great Pole', placed in 1998 whereas the commanding officer's monument-bust can be seen in Targ Rybny.