The Monument of Coast Defenders
ikona
The Monument of Coast Defenders
obrazek zajawki
Pomnik Obrońców Wybrzeża
Address:
City:
majora Henryka Sucharskiego
Gdańsk
Opened for public
RankRankRankRank_noRank_no
 votes: 268

The authors of the monument's design, singled out from 63 others are: Adam Haupt, Franciszek Duszeńko and Henryk Kitowski. It construction was initiated by Rada Ochrony Pomników Walki i Męczeństwa (the Council of Battle and Martyrdom Monument Preservation). The unveiling ceremony took place on 9 October 1966. The Monument of Coast Defenders is 23 metres high. It consists of 236 granite blocks which weight 1150 tons in total. Among the inscriptions on the monument there are names of places connected with he defence of the Polish Coast in 1939 such as: ‘Westerplatte', ‘Oksywie' or ‘Hel'. Doubts regarding the monument's message can be, however, aroused by the fact of placing inscriptions connected with other important battles of the Second World War such as ‘Lenino'. The aim of this decision was for the monument to commemorate also part of the Polish armed forces fighting during the Second World War at the Soviets' side. Distancing ourselves from the contentious matters, we should perceive the monument as a symbolic place, commemorating the Germans' invasion on Poland on 1st September 1939 and the defence of the Polish Coast. On 1st September 1939 at 4:45 a.m. a salvo from cannons on the German battleship SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN which had allegedly paid Gdańsk a peaceful visit, began to storm the outpost in Westerplatte. In this way the first battle of the Second World War commenced. The Polish crew of 210 people resisted the Germans' numerous attacks of 4000 soldiers. After 7 days of fights, due to the enemy's decisive advantage and the crew's exhaustion, Major Henryk Sucharski took the decision to capitulate. Hardly any remains of the Military Transit Storehouse have been preserved until the present day. There are ruins of the first and second guardroom barracks and the bunker ‘Fort'. The fourth guardroom has been transformed into a warehouse of the Maritime Regional Unit of the Border Guard. In the eastern part of the peninsula there in also a post-war observation point of the 25th Standing Artillery Battery.

Back
Print
PDF
Report
A mistake