The Archipelago southeast from Karlshamn consists of about 60 islands. The coastline has deep inlets and dramatic differences in altitude. The islands have for a very long time been used for seasonal fishing. In the 16th century the bigger islands got a permanent population. Fishing, hunting and cattle breeding provided a small income.
When the town Karlshamn was established it became possible to sell fish in the town and life became a little bit better. The population increased and was around 1920 about 650 persons. People worked mainly with stone hewing and fishing. Today only a few persons live permanently on the islands. A majority visit the archipelago and their cottages during summer season.