On the southern cape of Öland, which was important to maritime traffic when approaching the Kalmar Strait, there was a bascule light already in the 1600's. The current lighthouse, commonly called Långe Jan (Tall John), is with its 41,6 metres the tallest lighthouse in Sweden. It was designed by Superintendent Carl Cronstedt and built in 1785, probably by Russian prisoners of war. The lighthouse was altered in 1822 from an open to a closed coal fire and at that time a hoisting device for coal was also installed. The lighthouse was electrified in 1948 and automatised in 1980.
The narrowing base in combination with the segmental arch, the door that is set in the wall and the slate above the vault with the text Gustaf III and the year 1785 gives the lighthouse a particular culture-historical value. Adjacent to the lighthouse is a small lighthouse museum in the old lighthouse-keeper's house and next to it two signal guns are also placed. Since the southern cape of Öland is a well-known resting ground for migratory birds there is also a newly built bird- and nature museum. On the premises is also a lunch restaurant and shop.
A couple of hundred metres further to the north on the western side of the island are the ruins of St Johannes/Rosenkinds chapel. The chapel was built close to the very large and important fishing harbour that was located here in the Middle Ages. The chapel was demolished and parts of it are said to have been used to build the lighthouse. It is after the chapel that the lighthouse got the name Långe Jan.