Högby lighthouse was constructed at Bergsunds Mekaniska Verkstad (Bergsund’s mechanical workshop) in Stockholm and was first raised at the Stockholm Exhibition in 1897 before it was shipped to Högby by barge. The lighthouse and the surprisingly lavishly fitted residential building were designed by head engineer John Höjer (1849-1908) at the Royal Pilotage Board. Höjer, who was a prominent designer, had spent a long time in France and studied the French lighthouse services. The lighthouse is a white framework construction with a green iron roof, 23 metres tall, with slanting outer legs, a skeletal tower and a lantern room.
The beautiful residential buildings have walls of Öland limestone and granite and a roof of black slate. The painter Stephan Lundh now lives there and in the summer his gallery is open to the public. The lighthouse and the surrounding buildings are otherwise not open to the public. The lighthouse station is in an isolated but beautiful spot at the outermost point of a cape.