The naval city Karlskrona is on the UNESCO World Heritage list. It is a well preserved and unique example of a naval city. Karlskrona was founded in the 1680's after careful planning that, already from the beginning, included residential quarters and harbours for the naval activities and the city trade. Also, Karlskrona is one of the few historic naval bases that are still in use today. Many of the historic shipyard buildings are located within the present day naval base. Karlskrona naval yard was, for the whole of the 18th century, the biggest workplace in the country.
The naval yard rope walk at Lindholmen was in use from 1697 to 1960. Many generations of rope-makers have walked the fully 300 metre long building, back and forth, twining yarn, pulling strands and laying up hawsers for the naval ships. In the rope walk there is an exhibition of the operations there. The Sculptor’s Workshop in the naval port is the place where the famous sculptor to the Admiralty Johan Törnström created the figureheads for the great ships. The workshop was built in the 1780's in a neoclassical style, according to the prevalent ideals. In the workshop is the exhibit "Figureheads and sculptors".
The Vasa shed was built in the 1760's, as a covered slipway, so that the naval ships could be built more efficiently. The building is built with six pairs of brick pillars that support the large mansard roof. Later the spaces between the pillars were filled with boarded partitions to better be able to protect the ongoing ship construction from moisture and rain. It was after the construction of the ship of the line Wasa in 1776 that the Great Ship Shed, as it had been called until then, was to be called the Vasa Shed.
In the 1850's the naval port expanded to the west into the area called the New Shipyard where the "Five Finger docks" and the mast crane are situated. In 1961 the naval base was split into two separate parts where the naval port came to belong to the Navy and the Karlskrona shipyard became a government-owned company. Today, Karlskrona shipyard is a part of Kockums, which in turn is owned by the German ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems. At the shipyard submarines and naval surface vessels with advanced stealth-technique are constructed, built and maintained.