Kalmar is an important trading- and naval city that in medieval days counted as a Hanseatic city. As far as the 17th century shipping was mostly concentrated on the southern Baltic, but during the 18th century the tradesmen of Kalmar also came to ship merchandise to, among other, the Mediterranean. In the 19th century direct steam boat lines were established between Kalmar and Lübeck as well as Stockholm. During the 20th century the harbour grew through extensive expansions. For a couple of years during the 1680's Kalmar was also the main base for the Swedish navy.
Many 18th century buildings in Kalmar carry reminders of the city's importance to trading and navigation. In the cathedral, which was finished in the year 1700, are epitaphs from rich tradesmen and officers, often with German background. One of these is the elegant shield and beautiful gravestone of Verner von Rosenfeldt. He was the first to produce a navigational chart over the Baltic Sea and the first chief pilot in the country, cartographer and admiral. Another is the 17th century warship epitaph of major (holmmajor, shipyard head) Anders Hommans (1622-1685). The townscape is characterised by the tradesmen' stone buildings as well as by parts of the ring-wall that have been preserved.
The harbour, which still has an extensive operation, is mostly aimed at the corn trade with large warehouse- and factory buildings as well as exporting sawmill produce.
Kalmar Maritime Museum
Kalmar Castle and medieval harbour
Varvsholmen in Kalmar