Spårö beacon is situated on Spårö island outside of Västervik. It was built by Russian prisoners of was in 1776-1777. The beacon is 25 metres tall and has two metre thick walls at the bottom. It sits at the top of the 34 metre high Spårö mountain. Until 1884, at night, in bad weather and storm, iron baskets with burning fatwood could be extended through hatches in the eastern part of the roof. In 1925 lightning struck the beacon and set fire to the shingled roof, and it was then substituted by an iron roof. Today, Spårö is a popular excursion spot. A beacon is a navigation mark similar to a lighthouse but without lights.