The Cathedral was built in 14th century, presumably in 1380. The cathedral originally had two spires. The spires (one north and one south) overlooked the entrance (west side) of the cathedral. But in 1544 the two spires were destroyed by fire. The south spire was rebuilt, but the north spire was replaced by a simple gable roof. After the war, the cathedral remained a burnt out shell and Kneiphof was made into a park with no other buildings.Before the war, Kneiphof had many buildings. One of the buildings was the first Albertina University building, where Immanuel Kant taught. Nowadays the Cathedral is fully restored and the museum and Kant's Tomb are located there.